Homemade Memory Game

                                                                                                                                                        With a little birthday coming up, I decided to make a personalized memory game.  Now this is not a novel idea, but it was the first time I had ever made a set.  It was so easy that I will definitely be making some more.
   


The supplies and process were really simple.

                          Supplies:
                                                             16 - 3x3 wood squares 
                                                               1 - 3.5 x 3.5 paper mache box
                                                               8 - 3x3 pictures x 2 of each
                                                             16 - identical embellishment pictures 
                                                                     OR 3x3 identical papers for the back
                                                              Modge Podge - I used matte


SQUARES: I found that 16 squares worked the best because they fit perfectly in the box and they made a nice even square when layed out.  I did quickly sand the edges just to get any loose wood removed...it was already pretty smooth but I certainly did not want to give any slivers especially since little fingers would be playing with it.

PICTURES: I added some digital embellishments using a scrapbook program before I printed them off.  I also used that program to design the cover for the box. I prefer to print them off on regular 20 lb paper - normal copy paper- because it adheres more easily than cardstock or thicker paper when using the modge podge.

If you haven't done any digital scrapbooking, it really is addicting.  I actually have never used it for traditional scrapbooking but rather for making bookmarks, handouts, cards, tags, mini books, calendars, games, etc...the possibilities are really endless.  Believe me, you will not regret the investment.

BACKSIDE:  I decided to use a digital yellow button for the backside, but I could have easily just used scrapbook paper.  Whatever you choose, make sure it is identical for each one...otherwise you will give away the pictures beneath the more the game is played and memorized! I was tempted to add some variety to the backside, but then thought better.  Thank goodness.

MODGE PODGE: I put one thin coat under the picture to adhere it and then I used a plastic grocery card to smooth the bubbles out.  After it had dried, I went ahead and added a layer on top making sure to get the corners.  I prefer matte modge podge because when you use glossy, you can easily see where it has been used and where it has not because of the gloss.  Matte just blends right in so I can just use it where I need to on the square - like the button in the middle - without worrying about doing the entire square where it is not needed.  Also I think glossy distracts from the faces in the photo because it is so shiny. 


And there you have it...part of the birthday gift.  





I am linking up over at The Shabby Nest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! It is always nice to hear what you have to say.